Rafael shows modern ‘dogfight’ concept, Python 5-style

With its infamous Bollywood- and Marcel Marceau-themed publicity stunts, Rafael has earned a reputation for making corporate videos that are high on creativity but low on credibility.

So when Rafael’s marketing staff handed me a disc last week in Israel labeled “corporate videos” I privately shuddered. How bad could these be?

As I turns out, not bad at all. The videos are conventional corporate promo material, nicely spiced with some operational footage. The best video, not surprisingly, features the Python 5, and explains Rafael’s operational concept for the weapon. It also shows aerial footage of the Python 4 hit on an Iranian/Hezbollah UAV caught on the wrong side of Israel’s border.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

15 Responses to Rafael shows modern ‘dogfight’ concept, Python 5-style

1. Sven Ortmann 30 November, 2009 at 5:12 pm #

It’s actually a very bad movie and doesn’t tell anything new in comparison to several years old info.

It’s very bad for several reasons:
    * an idiotically close fighter formation, which is completely misleading. Fighters don’t fight like that any more since the late 30′s.
    * a A/AA scenario that’s built on the assumption of extreme stupidity of the enemy pilots and a lack of MRAAMs in the duel. Seriously, no matter what kind of missile you use; such stupid enemies who pursue like that would die even against early 1980′s missiles.

2. Saberhagen 1 December, 2009 at 8:56 am #

Quite understandable. Its just a commercial anyway, using simplified illustration.

3. SMSgt Mac 1 December, 2009 at 9:08 am #

Good promo. Highlights quite well:
    1. The potential advantages of being able to launch to any point of the compass at any time.
    2. The ability to engage small hard to detect targets in the presence of ground clutter.

4. Akash 14 December, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

how the heck did the python 5s cue backwards? what sensors cued them for targets right behind the fighters?

5. Normand Collaer 24 December, 2009 at 9:45 am #

Great post, newspaper will have to change and get with the online media revilution or die. It will be a difficult transition for some but an opportunity for othere.

6. coquine 26 December, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

Nice post you said, dont stop updating your site, that’s better.

7. Emmy Depippo 17 January, 2010 at 7:44 am #

Thanks for taking the top out to write this nice post.

8. Don Haltom 10 June, 2010 at 10:37 am #

Io di solito non faccio post nel Blog, ma il tuo post lavoro mi ha costretto a, il lavoro incredibile .. bella …

9. Walmart Gift Guy 10 June, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

“@Trinayia usa 800 and walmart both of my old managers told me to apply i worked at each places before”

10. Celena Clonch 9 July, 2010 at 5:51 am #

The Emmy nominees have been announced!! Jim Parsons from the show Big Bang Theory is among the nominees. He should win!

11. Australia gifts 14 July, 2010 at 1:45 pm #

Excellent job.

12. electronics australia 16 July, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

A mutual friend said I should come take a look at your site. Really good reading here! I like how you really scrutinize and get to the point but can you explain that last part again? Just a little? –Amy

13. dairy queen 12 August, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

in my previous age I’ve become something of an ice cream connoisseur, and I found the DQ stuff to be pretty bland and tasteless, quite frankly.

14. Orville Boyack 19 September, 2010 at 8:49 pm #

I was a smoker for 25+ many years smoking 2 packs per day and also smoke a lot of weed, then about three months ago i decide to very chilly turkey with no withdraw and did not use any patch or gum of any type. Here is how i did it, some thing i learn from Tony Robbins. I use to website link smoking was a enjoyment to me now i link smoking is painful to me. All you need to try and do is sit down and spent about 10 minutes and visualize your self dieing,not ready to determine your kids or friends anymore, the sensation was so painful to determine in my thoughts that after 10 minutes my brain website link up that cigarette smoking was to painful for me to continue and that it was much more enjoyment to stop. Try it it truly works!

15. trish applebees 12 October, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

We’ve got been consuming at the current location just about every Friday night since the general ancient times seven months. Readily available are many second one Applebees in the area less than this can be the general cleanest and happiest.