Deptula whacks Predator hack worries

I had a scheduled interview with Lt Gen David Deptula this morning, so I asked the US Air Force deputy chief of staff for intelligence, surveillance and reconaissance for his thoughts about Predator-gate (aka, the Wall Street Journal’s scoop yesterday that insurgents have hacked Predator video feeds using $26 scanners).

It was quickly very clear that Deptula doesn’t think this is a news story, or worthy of a conversation for that matter. Here’s a quick soundbite: “We are talking about the interception of signals that are broadcast over the air — duh.”

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

6 Responses to Deptula whacks Predator hack worries

1. Dave 18 December, 2009 at 7:22 pm #

Awesome! How long of an audience did he grant you?

————–

Stephen: What of the reports of the Taliban intercepting our drone transmissions?

Deptula: It is of no concern. Soon the insurgents will be crushed and young Osama will be one of us. Your work here is finished, my friend. Go out to Alexandria and await further damage control efforts.

2. eg 18 December, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

The American version of JN25 and Engima. Too bad we can’t learn from history.

Even the responses on wired.com ring of the same arrogance.

Fix it now, the insurgents will devise a new countermeasure soon enough.

If we don’t we will end up like Karl Doenitz and Isoroku Yamamoto.

3. John S 18 December, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

Thanks to your collegues at the “rival” Ares blog, Sean’s Friday Frago included a link to a wired.com article saying that ALL US warplane air to ground video is broadcast in the clear.

I guess they don’t mind if insurgents planting roadside IEDs at night know when they are being monitored. It’s more important to get the product out to the troops.

4. SMSgt Mac 21 December, 2009 at 8:13 am #

Mr Trimble,
    This post deserved more recognition than it received. I mean, other than the snarky non-contributions above.

5. Body Building photo 23 July, 2010 at 6:24 am #

Thanks for sharing dude :)

6. Aimbot Download 7 April, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Sup, just figured i’d say that this website rocks!I’ve shortcut(ed?) it so I can check back later