VIDEO: Airborne Laser zaps MARTI

The US Missile Defense Agency today released video showing an air-to-air engagement by the Boeing YAL-1 Airborne Laser (YAL) on 10 January. The chemical oxygen iodine laser (COIL) appears to track the target — named Missile Alternative Range Target Instrument (MARTI) — for several seconds. To my knowledge, the results of this test have not been announced. It’s difficult to judge the success (or otherwise) of this test based on the video. Honestly, it kind of reminds me of my childhood Atari console, shooting asteroids.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

10 Responses to VIDEO: Airborne Laser zaps MARTI

1. dziban303 22 January, 2010 at 10:32 pm #

Childhood Atari console? Jeez, Stephen, I thought you were an old fart.

2. aeroxavier 23 January, 2010 at 11:20 am #

but success for follow the missile

3. buitje 25 January, 2010 at 8:38 am #

OKE Time to Chrome the Rockets !

4. Anonymous 25 January, 2010 at 8:17 pm #

“not success because the missile was more high with the plane and laser capability but success for follow the missile.

What are you talking about? English is obviously not your best language.

5. FighterFan 26 January, 2010 at 6:14 am #

Stephen – MDA reads your blog and saw my suggestion to use the ABL in a tactical air-air role in the Rand Taiwan scenario!
    If they can zap AAMs in flight, they can do Flankers!

6. Stephen Trimble 26 January, 2010 at 10:50 am #

Ha! If only I hadn’t heard MDA officials talk about that very idea a couple of years ago (as they fish around for reasons to justify the ABL budget, of course).

7. ralph lauren sale 24 July, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Awesome, that is definitely a good list. My spouse and i probably won’t buy one bring about some of their competitors present more appeal. Or it could be they are going to increase it out time frame.

8. fred perry uk 24 July, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

A great audio internet site, in my view, is definitely one who has EVERY LITTLE THING, including my new music. I’ve checked each and every website, the only real 2 which might be worthy of some time are usually 8tracks and also Grooveshark.

9. ralph lauren sale 24 July, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Are we able to reduce to get looked at when our own reputation is usually imperceptable. Personally i think just like my very own level of privacy have been troubled because of this type software =[ Are you aware of precisely how?? Thank you before hand.

10. Nike Free Runs on sale 4 August, 2013 at 6:05 am #

qmmkxnnvi qpdsbuc http://richanha.co.uk/js/iss.asp Replica Oakley Sunglasses gjwewrsm faeoejrs