VIDEO: Stealth fighter demonstrator flies in Sweden

Linkoping University is testing a 1:13 scaled demonstrator of a stealth fighter concept designed by Saab. First flight of the demonstrator occurred in November, and the university posted the video online last week.

The DEW Line
reader TangoViking noticed the update on Linkoping’s web site and emailed me the link, along with this description:

They got CAD-drawings from Saab, money from the national aeronautical program, and a bunch of help to construct a flying scale-demonstrator in composite material of a stealth fighter. To me it looks just like the single-engine K-FX offer by SAAB to Korea. They cite one of the reasons for doing this is to demonstrate how to move from design to a flying demonstrator in short time kind of like a “flying wind tunnel”.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

15 Responses to VIDEO: Stealth fighter demonstrator flies in Sweden

1. Addison Schonland 14 April, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Amazing! And its much nicer looking than the F-35. I do hope the Indian Air Force sees this video.

2. Jason Kern 14 April, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Is this really a demonstrator or someone’s dream RC Jet? How much care has been taken into truly implementing stealth features? I’m not trying to rain in on anyone’s parade but look at this video, it’s hardly a “demonstrator:”

3. Lightndattic 14 April, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

Either that’s CGI, or that’s the world’s smoothest cameraman. Every video I’ve seen from the ground of a fighter aircraft, especially R/C versions, have all had trouble centering and zooming in/out as smooth as that video.

4. ben 14 April, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

lol
    go Sweden go !

5. 2Phast4Rocket 14 April, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

Made out of state of the art balsa wood. No RCS!!

6. johnny 14 April, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

If Saab doesn’t sell enough Gripens, they may not not exist long enough to ever conceive such a fighter.

7. MrSatyre 15 April, 2010 at 1:06 am #

Lightndattic, I have to agree with you: that definitely looked CGI to me. The runway takeoff sequence alone looked way too smooth. Not like an RC bumping and weaving like they always do.

8. rocco 15 April, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

@MrSatyre

It’s not a toy.

And it’s real.

9. Marcelo 16 April, 2010 at 3:32 am #

it really looks like CGI…the take-off and landing are very strange.

10. MrSatyre 16 April, 2010 at 4:22 am #

@ rocco:

Glad to hear it, rocco. And your proof is…? I don’t recall ever having said it was a toy. Reputable design firms world-wide have frequently used CGI to illustrate concepts before going the extra mile with scaled down RC models.

I’m not trying to start a flame war, but this is a very low resolution video of what looks very suspiciously like CGI mixed with live footage. That statement/observation has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the validity of the design.

11. RAF 16 April, 2010 at 6:37 am #

It is real, I’ve seen it. Its a concept from Saab that students from LiU, the univerity of Linkoping, have built in a class of flight engineering. I think the course focuses at bringing a concept from prelimminary design in to first flight, ablight at a smaller scale than a commercial company, of course.

12. RAF 16 April, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

@MrSatyre
    If you need more convincing, here is a link with more on the model, it’s in Swedish but you can see the movie.

13. Lightndattic 19 April, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

@RAF- I don’t doubt they made a model, even a flyable one, but that video does not look real. It looks like they took the CAD modeling, and digitally inserted it into real footage of some guys at a R/C field. The fact that your last link shows the team holding the model, then the same video we are debating doesn’t prove the video is real. It’s relatively easy for a professional modeler to build a model of a concept aircraft, it’s another thing entirely the put out a fake looking video and claim it’s an achievement.

14. RAF 20 April, 2010 at 8:58 am #

@Lightndattic
    OK to be sceptical, there are a lot of fake videos on the net. If you trust me then I’ll tell you it is real, if you don’t trust me, c’est la vie.

15. RAF 21 April, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

A longer video from youtube,