Memo to aerospace workers: Move to DC

The District of Columbia employs 370 aerospace workers who make an average salary of $111,280, making the US capital by far the most financially attractive location to work in this industry.

The next highest average salary in any state is California, but aerospace workers there get by on only $66,606.

I know all of this thanks to the new state-by-state statistics breakdown on the Aerospace Industries Association’s web site. The AIA itself is located just across the river from DC in Virginia, where the average salary is $62,522. Perhaps it’s time for the AIA staff to request an office move.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

7 Responses to Memo to aerospace workers: Move to DC

1. George Zip 17 September, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

Neat idea, but the data is questionable. Texas has closer to 20,000 working in aerospace for a start.

2. Howe 18 September, 2010 at 6:11 am #

“Any state, however, is a better place to work in aerospace than South Dakota, where the average salary is $38,833.33, which is just barely above the federal poverty line for a family of eight.”

…A family of eight isn’t exactly common…so I think that line is dumb.

I live in South Dakota, And 38k per year is good money.

Not surprised to see the DC figure, apparently everyone in DC throws around money wastefully.

3. AirShowFan 19 September, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

Yeah, I’m not sure whether you want to be judging salaries by how well they can feed a family of 8…

And, more meaningfully: The salaries in DC are that high because the aerospace workers in DC are consultants, executives, and the people who interface between contractors and government. No entry-level folks there. You gotta be in the industry for a while (and show that you have learned the game well) before you can work aerospace in DC. So, 111k sounds about right. The factory workers and entry-level engineers so common in other states are not present in DC to lower the average industry income there.

That having been said; When I was an entry-level aerospace engineer in California a few years ago, I made around $65k, give or take. But a lot of people made a lot more than me (and still do). I wonder who are all the people who make less than I did, who bring the average down to 65k.

4. NGC Engineer 20 September, 2010 at 11:53 am #

Not all of the aerospace jobs in the DC area are consultants. There is a fairly large number of engineers (experienced & entry level) & factory workers in the Baltimore-DC area. Not to the degree of TX or CA, but not non-existent either.

5. Lugo 20 September, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

$39K in Rapid City is like $90K in El Segundo or the DC suburbs.

6. Jetcal1 20 September, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

D.C.?
    Am I the only ony that sees a similarity between the rings created by the various highways around the city and a certain book by Dante?

D.C.? Yeech!

7. Irena Decora 7 October, 2010 at 10:11 am #

I can’t think any reason why I would want anything in between.