PHOTO OP: F-22 – She’s a rainbow

Winning second place in the Seattle Museum of Flight’s annual Spirit of Flight photo contest is this stunning image by Bernardo Malfitano, who captured the F-22 at a San Diego air show in 2008.

, ,

11 Responses to PHOTO OP: F-22 – She’s a rainbow

1. ShockwaveLover 7 September, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Beautiful photo.

I give it about a week before it’s placed at the head of a ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ article.

2. Ed 7 September, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

Why, I always thought the phrase “pooping rainbows” was associated with innocence. It feels odd to see it on an F-22.

Beautiful shot though.

3. K 7 September, 2010 at 5:37 pm #

Maybe he would have won first place if he had photoshopped it to get rid of the composition error of having the plane’s nose coincident with the edge of the picture.

4. 7K7 7 September, 2010 at 5:37 pm #

If that was only second I’d like see what took first prize!

5. Scoreboard 7 September, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

Click on the link in the first paragraph to see the winner and others.

This also shows that the version here of the F-22 is cropped – plenty of space around the airframe on the original.

6. AirShowFan 8 September, 2010 at 12:47 am #

Actually, if you want a little bit of behind-the-scenes “the making of”; The ORIGINAL original had a whole lot of room in every direction:

s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx128/airshowfan/Testing123/?action=view&current=F-22CondensationRainbow-BernardoMalfitano-RightOutOfCamera.jpg

Glad you liked it. I know I’ve made it big when I’ve made it onto the Flight Global blogs. (Giz-what? ;])

7. Stephen Trimble 8 September, 2010 at 1:49 am #

I had no idea! Congrats, AirShowFan! Great photo.

8. Surfcaster 8 September, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Sweet shot – congrats!

9. TL 10 September, 2010 at 1:42 am #

She’s a rainbow that’s got off my cloud… a brilliant picture.

10. eb 10 September, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

i’m a rainbow too.

nice to know that airplane geeks like bob too.

11. Ramki 14 September, 2010 at 4:41 am #

Excellent shot. As for the framing, sticking to rules always doesn’t always bring out the best in a shot. Keep going.