USAF: Search launched for “overdue” F-22 in Alaska

A Lockheed Martin F-22 lost contact with US Air Force air traffic control at 7:40pm (11:40pm EST) yesterday during a routine mission from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska. A search is underway. As of about 8am EST, the USAF still classified the aircraft and the pilot as overdue.

The USAF has lost two F-22s in accidents since December 20, 2004. Aircraft 014 was lost on that day after maintenance procedures triggered a glitch in the flight control system. Aircraft 008 crashed on March 25, 2009, after Lockheed Martin test pilot David Cooley briefly lost control for 4sec during a 9g, split-S maneuver.

If another F-22 is confirmed lost, the USAF’s projected fleet will shrink to 185 aircraft. Lockheed is building the last 20 aircraft this year before the production line closes in February or March 2012.

12 Responses to USAF: Search launched for “overdue” F-22 in Alaska

1. Dude 17 November, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

Need A/A & A/G collision-avoidance systems for these expensive fast jets….

2. Jason 17 November, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

Send in Todd Palin and his dogsled team. Or maybe Sarah can blame it on Putin…

3. PMS 17 November, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

Can it be a kind of MIG-25 a rebours case?

4. Dave 17 November, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

I’m really hoping it’s not someone I know…

5. just another retired CMS 18 November, 2010 at 12:45 am #

Airplanes come and airplanes go. . .I just hope the driver got out okay and is found in good shape.

6. Prometheus 18 November, 2010 at 12:53 am #

people dont panic. even 185 of those cold war relics are too much. The USAF needs no reserves!

7. Sven Ortmann 18 November, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

@PMS; I thought of a particular Ju 88R-2 …

8. PMS 18 November, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Interesting story, Sven. Thanks.
    Anyway, I hope, the pilot survived the reported crash in this case.

9. Bill Zeddies 19 November, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

Your comments would be better served for some other time. We have an American Serviceman lost in very cold weather! I realize you are probably a young, maladjusted child, but no better time to learn about patriotic behavior

10. Bill Zeddies 19 November, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

10-4. I wish this thing was not so low key. There are a bunch of us locals who could get out there and help, but the locale is being misconstrued as 100 miles North of anchorage and the ground search base camp is allegedly Cantwell, (200 miles). Three days is too long. We run from Eureka Lodge to Denali Hwy in a day on sleds. The rivers are not great right now, but there is always a way. Shutting down at night is not excusable either. Damnit man! I love our military, but this is normal.

11. Bill Zeddies 19 November, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

I am with you on that. Just wish I could get the straight poop on the location. They are not giving good intel. to public, understandably. But it has been too long. Three days is unexcusable. We travel from Denali Hwy to Eureka Lodge on Glenn Hwy in a day. Night ground travel in the backcountry is actually easier due to vision, but they appear to be hold up at night in Cantwell. I may load up a sled and go look for choppers this a.m. . I can hear them passing our house in the a.m. on their way to the site. It is either 100 miles North of Anchorage or near Cantwell, 235 miles away. Good luck to you. I love our military and country.

12. Chris 20 November, 2010 at 6:01 am #