TRAILER: New Toon plumbs depths of carrier aviation

Coming to a home entertainment system near you in 2013, the straight-to-DVD flick “Planes” apparently portrays the story of an AirTractor (or Thrush!)-like turboprop trying to compete with jet-powered fighters on carrier decks. Like all good art, the trailer shown below inspires many questions, such as: Is that really a V-tailed EA-6B in the background? Why do you need a catapult to launch an AirTractor? How can a B-2 zip around like that without compromising its structural integrity? And, perhaps most disturbingly of all, why am I questioning the contextual purity of a cartoon?

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

8 Responses to TRAILER: New Toon plumbs depths of carrier aviation

1. jetcal1 16 June, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

Come on, everyone knows Rafale is superior to Airtractor in except in hopper capacity and dry/wet dispersal rates.

2. Moose 16 June, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

Video pulled.

3. Matt 17 June, 2011 at 2:02 am #

That has got to be the only Disney movie adults are going to watch. And I think those are F/A-18s, not A-6s, and whats with that B-2?

4. Francis Morelli 17 June, 2011 at 5:15 am #

To Jetcal1 – surely that depends on the pilot…?

5. Sturmovik 17 June, 2011 at 7:47 am #

jetcal1, that made me laugh.. :D

6. Surfcaster 17 June, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

“And I think those are F/A-18s, not A-6s..”

Kind of a mix, a Super Horncat, so to speak.

I think the V-Tailed EA-6B he mentions was a quick look at one of the background jets (did I just say that?) in one of the snips.

To me though, it looked more like a V-Tailed Harrier. Mayhaps that plane have a speaking roll and speaks with a Brit accent, then we’ll know for sure.

7. puppethead 19 June, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

The one on the starboard quarter (left rear of shot when looking aft), which is really only seen in silhouette, looks a bit like a twin-tailed S-3 Viking, or even a Yak-141 (tall and long, but narrow). And as for the B-2, it looks more like the camera is manouevering wildly about the plane than vice versa – the plane itself looks fairly sedate. Regardless, I’m looking forward to it!

8. John O' 19 June, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

Happily I see that those “simulated” Hornets are adorned with a recognizable facsimile of the World Famous “Jolly Rogers,” Skull & Bones, that have been proudly displayed on US Navy (Tailhook Aviation) squadrons of VF-17/84/103 over the years..