United Airlines today announced its initial Boeing 787 routes, the first international route of which is to begin on 4th December, 2012.
Houston will become the first 787 crew base for United, with several other stations likely to follow.
United's 787-8s are configured in a 36 BusinessFirst, 72 Economy Plus and 111 Economy class seats (36C/ 72W/ 111Y) and the first of these had its first flight on 20th August.
- Houston - Amsterdam. Begins on 4th December 2012, and operates daily. However will only operate temporarily till end of the Winter season.
- Los Angeles - Tokyo Narita. Launches on 3rd January 2013, as the first year-round 787 service. Will operate daily.Houston - Lagos. Operating five times per week effective 7th January 2013.
- Houston - London Heathrow. Launches on 4th February 2013, and operating temporarily till end of the Winter season. Daily service.
- Los Angeles - Shanghai Pu Dong. Daily year-round service launching on 30th March 2013.
- Denver - Tokyo Narita. Daily year-round service starting on 31st March 2013.
Out of these routes, Houston - Lagos, was one of the first 787 routes to be announced by then Continental Airlines in 2010, along with the proposed Houston - Auckland route. The Denver - Tokyo route was originally announced by United in May, 2012.