Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia, which late last year received approval for a trans-Tasman joint network, has announced that the joint operations will commence from Winter 2011 ( effective 30th October ).
The two airlines will be connecting each others domestic points with ANZ operating 70% of the trans-Tasman flights and Virgin Australia ( under Pacific Blue ) the remaining 30%.
The two airlines will adjust flight times on some sectors while there will be transferring of capacity between the two airlines where necessary.
Wellington - Brisbane : Pacific Blue will increase its servces to twice daily from the present four-weekly
Christchurch - Brisbane : Combined twice daily flights
Queenstown - Sydney : Combined five-times weekly service. Previously both airlines operated twice weekly, on same days of the week.
Wellington - Sydney : ANZ will operate twice daily services.
Pacific Blue will be taking over ANZ's services connecting Dunedin with Sydney and Melbourne.
ANZ will be taking over the Auckland - Cairns route.
Total capacity out of Wellington will increase by 3.5% while Christchurch will see a reduction of about 14% to match the reduced demand following the recent earthquake.
There are also numerous other capacity adjustmnets.