The Airbus Global Market Forecast released today focuses long and hard on why aircraft sizes are growing, and in particular of course why the world needs the A380. Airbus lists its "top ten reasons why bigger is better".
All their words not mine...
1. Traffic to almost treble in next 20 years.
2. "Hub-to-hub" is just "big point-to-big-point"
3. Global hub cities getting bigger, inhabitants richer and more internationally mobile
4. People live in and want to go to global hub cities
5. Passengers want more comfort and cheaper flights
6. New large aircraft offer better economics
7. New large aircraft are more eco-efficient
8. Diminishing return of additional frequency
9. Airport congestion worsening
10. Airport capacity improvement limited