Easyjet Airbus A320 – fins really ain’t what they used to be

Easyjet fin thumb.JPG

Regular readers will know I don’t like returning from holiday withoutsqueezing a blog post out of it, which brings me to the question of thedire state of Easyjet’s fins (vertical stabilisers). Easyjetcabins always seem to be in surprisingly good condition, consideringthe lives they lead. But at London Gatwick I saw first one, and thenanother A320 with fins that looked like they’d been vandalised. Just afluke I thought, but then at Faro, Portugal I ended up being stabilisedaround the normal axis by the shocker on Oscar Hotel below. (NowRyanair – dire experience, lurid cabins that keep you awake evenwithout the sales messages, but I’ve never heard any complaints abouttheir fins.)

Easyjet fin.jpg

They’re not all like it – here’s A319 India Juliet also at Faro complete with unsullied fin.

Easyjet nice fin.jpg

, , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Easyjet Airbus A320 – fins really ain’t what they used to be

1. Paul April 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm #

The A320 is a former GB Airways aircraft (G-TT??), whilst the others were all delivered to EasyJet (G-EZ??) straight from the production line.

I’m guessing the quality of the repaint job wasn’t quite what is was supposed to be.

2. Esteban April 23, 2009 at 8:00 pm #

I think you are a genius.
    You must call easyjet and ask for a permanent job as a Fin Detective.

3. Kieran Daly April 25, 2009 at 7:52 pm #

I wonder what the money would be like?

4. Easy April 27, 2009 at 11:52 pm #

The aircraft are indeed ex GB Airways A320′s. The truth is, they aren’t painted at all. They are decals (stickers) as they aren’t planned to be in the fleet for much longer. The decal work is actually under warranty and supposedly being dealt with. In the meantime, brand new A320′s are being delivered as we speak and are already based in MAN and LGW.
    Whilst looking tatty they are perfectly airworthy and the passengers seem to really like the interior ……..not sure why. I prefer the standard easy interior.
    To answer the OP’s question about why Easyjet interiors look surprisingly new………….it’s because Easyjet operate probably the youngest fleet in Europe. Even so, the rate of utilisation is not necassarily correlated to the state of the cabin.

5. barry malady April 19, 2010 at 11:04 am #

WHAT A LOT OF CRAP ABOUT FINS SURELY UNDER CARRIAGE GEAR IS MORE INTERRESTING WHAT SAY YOU

6. mutuelle September 21, 2010 at 10:41 am #

You are a genius as u can differentiate between fins!That is indeed great but are you sure about your conclusion? I have never heard other complaints about their fins before!