How far into this video at St Barts before you would go around?

About 19s I reckon. (The link below no longer works, but you can see it here.)

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight I know but, really, even so..

Compare with this for example.

16 Responses to How far into this video at St Barts before you would go around?

1. Bob June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm #

He seemed to be awfully hot coming over the cameraman. I might have said go around then just to be safe. Besides that, I would have gone around a bit before floating past the halfway point. They still had time to go before he locked up the brakes.

2. Bill B June 5, 2009 at 6:39 am #

Well, I haven’t flown for a good 15 years so take my armchair comments for whatever you think it is worth.

Looked like he was too fast once he reached the runway.

Then he doesn’t seem to touch down until 3/4 (or more) down the runway.

I’d think once he had floated more than halfway down with the ocean looming he’d have gone around but it is easy to fault others not being there…

3. ric June 5, 2009 at 6:41 am #

he looked at least 20 knots too fast, too high aswell, hence the long float down the runway and touchdown beyond halfway
    i would of gone around on short final
    no such thing as a good landing out of a bad approach
    good approach = good landing

4. AlexP June 7, 2009 at 8:38 am #

Question: wasn’t he too high on approach because there was a bastard on the top of a pick-up truck with a camera right before the runway begins?
    In other words, the very fact this guy was there filming it may have caused the accident.
    Has anyone got his number plate?

5. Airbatix June 8, 2009 at 12:20 am #

Incompetent! I don’t care if he was high and fast or whatever: the pilot completely failed to recognize that too little runway was left to safely come to a stop on the runway.

6. Dave Scott June 8, 2009 at 10:43 am #

Hi, I recently sold an aircraft and I found it very difficult to do so, aircraft prices are really down and it sold for a lot less than I paid. Maybe this was a intentional thing to get the money for that aircraft from the insurer. Anyways there could be a criminal charge on the pilot for that crash for reckless and careless operation of an aircraft.

7. Vladimir June 8, 2009 at 11:26 am #

I am not a pilot, but if I were one I would go around at 17 seconds !!

8. Turbineguy June 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

I fly a Caravan/Pilatus for a charter company, and we fly into St Bart’s (SBH) often during the winter season. Because the runway is only 2100ft and has a sporty downhill approach, pilots must be certified by the French authority to land there. There’s a black marker on the left side of the runway indicating 325 meters remaining. If you aren’t down by this point and braking you are required to go around. The Aztec pilot in the video floated quite a bit suggesting he was too fast, and didn’t touch down until past the 325m marker. At that point he/she should have gone around and tried again. This looks to me like a case of landing fixation with unfortunate results, although it was preventable if they’d followed procedure.

9. Phil June 10, 2009 at 1:09 am #

I landed DHC-6 Twin Otters and BN2 Islander, thousand of times on that runway. A Special French Antillian lisence and training is required. And the Golden rule is: if you haven’t touch by the second taxi way (half way down the runway) then Go Around! The runway is only 1000 feet long.

10. Phil June 10, 2009 at 1:11 am #

Correction, The runway is only 2100 feet long. 1000 feet is the one in Saba airport.

11. Vin June 11, 2009 at 3:39 pm #

Should have initiated go-around when he was on short final with excessive speed. Why wait to see that you’re floating past the half-way point?

12. Trevor Highmoor June 12, 2009 at 8:47 am #

Should have been able to judge too high/too fast before the threshold, but definitely would have been hitting the throttles if I was still floating at halfway down that field…even in a Cessna 172!

13. jake June 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

I would have done a hard landing like on an A/C carrier

14. Steph June 14, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

He was very stupid not to go around in normal circumstances but unless you know what was really happening you can’t judge him or her. For all we know they may have lost instruments, first time at that airport, had to make an emergency landing, losing fuel, etc; which by doing a go around he or she may have made the consequences even worse, possibly by killing innocent people on the ground.
    Does anyone know of the details of the accident report?
    Steph

15. chelli November 26, 2009 at 9:17 am #

hey contact me chelli@alaweb.com

16. John H April 7, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

He looked way too hot, approach was way too fast, judging by the length of the runway (800M?) he should have touched at least 1\3 down the runway. Leaving him 500m to roll out. I woud have gone around if my approach speed is too high on a short strip, it doesnt look like he was doing a short field approach either. Either way, poor planning, poor approach, poor decision making. Predictable result.