I am leaving Flight

A380 first flight.jpgTomorrow actually. I couldn’t quite bring myself to make it public until now.

It’s almost exactly 21 years since, in an astounding stroke of luck, I was in the right place at the right time to land a job on Flight International. And the experience since has lived up to, and then wildly surpassed, whatever expectations I had. I’ve been incredibly fortunate to live the life of a Flight journalist and I’m acutely aware of the fact.

The people here are the most splendidly intelligent, amusing and affable bunch anywhere in aviation publishing. I’ve had marvellous times with them and I’ll miss them.

It didn’t really occur to me in 1988 that I would announce the news of my departure on a laptop computer, via something called the internet, in the form of another thing called a blog to which readers could instantly respond. I think I would have been terrified.

I”ll be continuing the blog. In its two years as Unusual Attitude it’s been viewed nearly 650,000 times and I hugely appreciate your interest. Receiving your comments from all over the world in realtime has been a salutary, educational and frequently encouraging experience and I’d like to thank you for that. I hope it’s improved my journalism.

I don’t in fact know what I’ll be doing next in my professional life. All reasonable offers considered!

Thanks for reading. Kieran

12 Responses to I am leaving Flight

1. James October 28, 2009 at 11:39 am #

I’ve enjoyed reading Unusual Attitude (and your articles in the magazine) for some time – all very interesting and informative, and in particular I’ve enjoyed your dry sense of humour on the blog.

Good luck with the next move in life; I’ve no doubt someone in the aviation community will snap you up in no time.

2. Crofty October 28, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Kieran – Thanks for allowing me to have the same opportunities you’ve enjoyed, by hiring me three years ago at Flight. The journalistic bar you’ve set is a tribute to your tenure. Crofty

3. mathieu prevost October 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm #

you’ll be missed.

as one door closes another….

4. FF2 October 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

Kieran, I have always enjoyed your insights into this fascinating and sometimes baffling industry. I look forward to continuing to read your blog and wish you all the best for your next move.

5. The Duchess October 28, 2009 at 6:39 pm #

Well, Kieran, this is the first time I’ve posted a comment on a blog, but then this is the only blog I enjoy reading. So, glad to see you’ll keep it going. Those were good times at ATI, even at the worst of times. Thank you. Fly high; whatever, whatever the glide path.

6. Rory Kay October 28, 2009 at 10:05 pm #

Kieran,

I have enjoyed very much “knowing” and working with you for a few years now. I always have enjoyed your “spin” on all matters to with the industry. Most especially, you are empathetic to the plight of the aviator (for the most part!) :-)

Very best wishes and please stay in touch. I just canceled going to Beijing about an hour ago due to the flap over our voluntary safety reporting program and FAA failing to follow process. More by letter to the editor perhaps?

Rory

7. Joel October 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm #

Kieran, I don’t know you and you don’t know me, but through the power of the interweb I’ve had a chance to benefit from your passion about aviation. The Kazan helicopters post was a prime example – a combination of professional journalism with genuine enthusiasm and excitement.

Good luck with the next move and do keep up the blogging: yours is one of the two or three that are at the top of my browser, and a must-read. Thanks for maintaining it.

8. The other Kieran October 29, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

Hi Kieran,

Very sorry to read of your Flight departure ;)

Wishing you every success on the next vector.

Keep the humour and the keyboard and I’m sure you will be as visible as the contrails overhead – for many years to come.

Slainte! / the other Kieran.

9. Ben Kolbeck October 30, 2009 at 5:21 pm #

Bye Bye… It will be sad to see you go from FI, especially your excellent features.

Maybe you’ll head over to Airliner World! ;P

10. John O'Brien December 1, 2009 at 10:54 am #

Kieran,
    In the days when I was with SITA and Speedwing, we kept meeting at various shows and exhibitions worldwide. I always enjoyed your company and enthusiasm.
    I retired to France a few years ago and now it is perhaps your time to relax, change gear or do whatever comes your way.
    If you leave aviation journalism totally behind, the genre will be poorer for losing your input. From Aviation Daily (or whatever it was) to Flight, you were an expert worth talking to. Good luck and if you keep travelling, STAY THIN! (It would be too ironic to see an enlarged KD being photographed from behind!)
    With every best wish,
    John O’B

11. Kieran Daly December 6, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks for your good wishes gentlemen. Glad to hear you’re happy John – I think that sort of life is a way off for me just yet. I have to say I’m enjoying my short time here at Airbus very much and would do so even if not based in Sevilla. I’m determined to work out some way in my ridiculously busy life at present to get the blog back on track, which will hopefully give ‘the other Kieran’ and Ben some entertainment, but it’s a struggle at present.

All that said, I’m by no means certain that I’m finished with journalism. Really don’t know for sure.

12. Kieran Daly April 7, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

Many thanks for your messages everyone. To those of you who are regulars, I hope I can retain your interest once I’m out of Flight; to those of you who I know as friends, a big thanks for your support here and in the real world; and to John – I’m delighted that it worked out. Although the journalism’s been great – perhaps the single best thing about this job was recruiting talented new people to Flight and seeing them thrive. Just a deeply rewarding experience.

OK, enough emotion – a blogger’s only as good as his last post, and mine’s just been posted.