What is that C-17 doing on the Seville ramp?!

So driving into work on this sunny Seville / Sevilla morning with not many cares in the world, I have one of those “what the heck is that doing there” moments.

In fact I first have a “what the heck is that” moment. But there´s no doubt about it – tucked in with the usual couple of 737s, TNT 146, bizjets and light-singles there is unquestionably a Boeing C-17. Which in the actual home of the mighty A400M is not wholly expected.

And not just any old C-17 either.

Apologies for the lousy pic, but I only had my Blackberry and was getting very funny looks from the airport police on whome I did not fancy trying out my Spanish. But here it is.

Qatar C-17.JPG

In fact the aircraft in question is this one. And I haven´t been able to find out what it´s doing here. Does anyone out there know?

So, unexpectedly early in the market wars to come, the two contenders meet. Not for the last time you can be sure.

Here´s our own Sevillan candidate this week at the EADS media briefing. It´s MSN2 which will fly in March. MSN1 is airborne on its sixth flight right at this moment.

A400M at EADS press conference.JPG

, , ,

8 Responses to What is that C-17 doing on the Seville ramp?!

1. scott January 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

“on whome I did not fancy trying out my Spanish”

I would guess you weren’t going to try out your English, either!!

2. Tim B January 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Perhaps it’s a relief flight bound for Haiti? *shrug*

3. Globe Master January 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

It’s to take the wings back to the UK when Airbus cancels A400M.

4. 7K7 January 15, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

It’s the Qatari’s come to check out their Hercules replacement :-)

5. Kieran Daly (blog owner) January 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

Particularly fine humour today. Although I suspect the more serious Haiti comment may be closest to the truth.

6. David Kaminski-Morrow January 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Television panning shot of the ramp at Port-au-Prince Airport has just clearly shown the Qatari C-17 parked among other Haiti relief aircraft.

7. Dave Rand January 18, 2010 at 2:57 am #

I am the one who flew the C-17 MAB into Sevilla. Apologies for causing confusion with the Airbus crowd, but it really was the quickest way for us to get to Haiti. We had relief supplies from Doha, and we needed a good place to refuel and crew rest.

8. ESP February 18, 2010 at 7:08 am #

That plane was indeed on its way to Haiti to bring relief crews and supplies. Thanks for noticing.