Avianca and Aerogal agree to codeshare

Washington DC
Source:
This story is sourced from Pro
See more Pro news »

Colombia's Avianca and Ecuadorian carrier AeroGal are further strengthening their relationship through a new codesharing pact and a potential coordination of their respective frequent flyer programmes.

Avianca and Central America's TACA Group, which are in the process of merging, disclosed plans on 1 March to jointly acquire AeroGal.

Avianca's sole shareholder Synergy Aerospace Group is acquiring 80% of AeroGal, while TACA's owner Kingsland Holding is buying the remaining 20%.

Avianca and TACA completed their merger agreement last month, and now are in the process of establishing Bahamas-based Avianca-TACA limited. Synergy will have a 67% stake in the company, with Kingsland Holding taking the remaining 33%.

The purchase builds on Avianca exercising an option for an 80% share of AeroGal in 2008.

In a statement AeroGal and Avianca say the new codeshare is AeroGal's first with an international carrier. The agreement allows AeroGal's passengers flying on the carrier's daily flight from Quito to Bogota to connect to Avianca's flights from Bogota to Medellin and Cali.

Avianca currently operates flights from Bogota to Quito and Guayaquil. Under the new arrangement on one itinerary, Avianca's passengers can now connect on AeroGal's flights from Quito and Guayaquil to Cuenca and from Quito to Manta. Avianca's passengers will now have access to AeroGal's flights from Guayaquil and Quito to the Galapagos Islands.