Flight's Test Pilot Mike Gerzanics took part in Flight's first ever live web chat and although the chat lasted one hour, a lot of ground was covered.
Gerzanics is a pilot for US-based Southwest Airlines, but he recently performed a test flight in a Hawker 900XP for Flight and was impressed with its handling qualities.
Other tests he has completed include the Challenger 605 business jet, the Airbus A380, F-35 cockpit, Beechcroft G36 Bonanza and Embraer's 170.
During the live web chat Gerzanics advised aspiring pilots about how to get into the industry and answered a range of probing questions about Southwest's future and how flying military aircraft differs from civil aircraft.
If you have any more questions for Gerzanics please upload them onto AirSpace forums.
Read the transcript below.
Gerzanics also has experience flying a range of military aircraft and is fully qualified to fly a C-17, F-111 and F-16s among others. Here's a more detailed list of some of the aircraft he has flown:
- Military: F-111, F-16, C-17, A-37 and O-2 (Fully qualified in all of them).
- Transport: Type rated in B727, B737, B747, B757/767, B777 and DC-10.
- Light Civil: Lots single engine Cessna experience.
- Glider: Hold a glider rating.
- Has a FAA ATP
- Total number of aircraft types flown - about 75