India's Air Works to build second hangar at Hosur

Hyderabad
Source:
This story is sourced from Pro
See more Pro news »

Privately-owned Indian maintenance, repair and overhaul provider Air Works is building a second hangar at its facility in Hosur, outside Bengaluru.

The hangar, which will cost $4 million, will be able to house two narrowbody aircraft and two business jets at the same time, says the company's managing director Vivek Gour. It will perform both heavy maintenance and painting work, he adds.

This adds to the company's capabilities at Hosur, where it already has a hangar that can accomodate one narrowbody aircraft and one turboprop aircraft, or two turboprops and one business jet, simultaneously.

Air Works, which counts Kingfisher Airlines, Jet Airways and Go Air as customers, is certified to work on Airbus A320s, Boeing 737s and ATR types. It has no plans to extend its operations to include widebodies, due to lack of demand.

"Around 85% of [aircraft in] Indian airline fleets are narrowbody aircraft or turboprop aircraft," says Gour. "Most of these aircraft are sent outside India [for maintenance], and so there is a big market within India for us."

MRO work generates around 60% of the company's revenue, while the remaining 40% comes from its painting operation, acquired through the purchase of UK-based Air Livery. It also has a joint venture with Scandinavian Avionics as part of its MRO business.

Air Works also has hangars in New Delhi and Mumbai, although those are dedicated to the business jet and helicopter markets. It could also build a hangar at Chennai for the business aviation market, it says.

The company has an agreement with Taneja Aerospace, which owns the land at Hosur, that allows it to build up to five hangars on that site.

One of those could used for the company to offer engine MRO for both turboprop aircraft and helicopters within the next five years, says Gour.

"We are profitable, well-funded and have a healthy balance sheet, and we want to grow incrementally. We invest in our own tooling, training and facilities. We pay a lot of attention towards ensuring that we have the correct certification and building up our reputation as a company that offers world-quality standards," adds Gour.