Jakarta releases timeline of Sukhoi Superjet crash

This story is sourced from Pro
See more Pro news »

The Indonesian government has released the communication history between the Sukhoi Superjet 100 that crashed on 9 May and air traffic control (ATC) before radar contact was lost.

The aircraft was on a demonstration flight that was due to last 30 minutes. It was scheduled to take off from Jakarta's Halim Perdana Kusuma Airport before heading to Pelabuhan Ratu, an area in West Java, and then return to the airport, Indonesia's transport minister said in parliament on Monday, 28 May 2012.

Giving a chronological report of the incident, he said that the aircraft had asked to start its engines at 14:10 local time and took off from runway 06 at 14:21, climbing to 10,000ft (3,048m)

At 14:24, the aircraft was in contact with the ATC at Jakarta's Soekarno Hatta Airport. Two minutes later, it requested to descend to 6,000ft.

At 14:28, ATC heard from the aircraft for the last time, when it requested clearance to do a 360 degree orbit right rotation in the training area of Atang Sanjaya, said the minister.

At 14:52, ATC called Soekarno Hatta informing the airport that the aircraft was no longer visible on radar. The airport then reported the loss of the aircraft to the air transport service coordinator.

At 15:35, the aircraft was classified as being in the "uncertainty phase". Thirty minutes later, the country's search and rescue agency was contacted.

More than four hours after take-off at 18:22, the aircraft was classified under "distress phase", as by this time it would have run out of fuel.

Earlier information released by the country's National Transportation Safety Committee said radar contact with the aircraft was lost at 14:33 local time, 12 minutes after take-off.

The aircraft, with the serial number 95004 and tail number 97004, was on an Asian demonstration tour when the incident happened. None of the 45 people on board survived.

The aircraft's cockpit voice recorder has since been retrieved and the Indonesian and Russian authorities have formally signed a cooperation agreement over the investigation.