Jazeera maintains dominance on Jordanian, Egyptian routes

By:  
-
Source:
This story is sourced from Pro
See more Pro news »

Jazeera Airways retains dominant market shares on routes from Kuwait to Amman and five Egyptian destinations, according to its second quarter performance report.

The Kuwaiti low-cost carrier says it captured 38% market share from Kuwait to the Jordanian capital in the six months to 30 June.

On routes from Kuwait to the Egyptian destinations of Alexandria, Assiut, Luxor, Sharm El Sheikh and Sohag, the airline has captured 31%, 50%, 71%, 60% and 38% market shares respectively.

The Kuwait-Cairo route saw Jazeera's market share increase to 27% in the second quarter, with the remaining 73% being served by flag carriers Kuwait Airways and EgyptAir.

Jazeera adds that it has achieved 32% market shares from Kuwait to Beirut, 13% to Bahrain and 16% to Dubai.

Kuwait Airways has steadily lost market share to Jazeera since the latter's creation in 2005, when the emirate liberalised its domestic aviation market.

Fellow private carrier Wataniya Airways, which was founded the following year, ceased operations in March 2011.