Kollsman takes 20% Sandel stake

Source:
This story is sourced from Flight International
Subscribe today »

Six months after they joined forces to develop cockpit displays, Kollsman has acquired 20% of Sandel Avionics for $12 million, with the option to buy the remaining 80% over the next 30 months. The two companies will co-operate on product development and marketing.

A US subsidiary of Israel’s Elbit Systems, Kollsman announced in November last year an agreement to integrate its µ-ViS small-footprint head-up display (HUD) and GAViS forward-looking infrared sensor with Sandel’s displays to create a “vision-based cockpit” for general aviation and business aircraft.

Vista, California-based Sandel built its business on the ST4300 terrain awareness and warning system for GA, business and regional aircraft, later expanding into displays. The company is certificating new 4 x 4in (100 x 100mm) electronic attitude director and horizontal situation displays to replace mechanical instruments, with shipments to begin in the third quarter.

Merrimack, New Hampshire-based Kollsman announced its vision-based cockpit initiative late last year. Key elements include the GAViS uncooled IR sensor, designed to bring the safety benefits of enhanced vision systems (EVS) to GA aircraft. The first announced customer for the SPn light jet is Grob. Another is the µ-ViS HUD, which uses new optical technology, under development with sister Israeli company El-Op, to eliminate the bulky overhead projection unit of conventional head-up displays.