Korean Air widened its net loss to won (W) 301 billion ($274 million) for the first quarter of 2013 from W64.2 billion a year ago.
The airline posted an operating revenue of W2.94 trillion for the first three months to 31 March, a decline of 2% year on year.
Its operating loss widened to W123 billion from W98.9 billion, as a result of the continued weakening of the Japanese yen, and concerns of threat from North Korea. Operating expenses during the period fell by 1% to W3.07 trillion.
International passenger and cargo businesses remained the major revenue contributors for the carrier in the quarter, accounting for 59% and 23% of the operating revenue respectively.
The airline's international passenger traffic, as measured in RPKs, grew by 3.1% against an ASK capacity increase of 2%. Total passengers carried rose by 2%, while South Korean outbound traffic was up by 4%.
Cargo traffic dropped by 13% compared with the year before, as a result of a 12% year-on-year decrease in South Korean outbound traffic and an 18% drop in transit traffic, it adds.