Thai low cost carrier Nok Air and Singapore Airlines subsidiary Scoot will partner to launch a Bangkok-based longhaul carrier.
The new airline, to be called NokScoot, will be based at Don Mueang International airport and operate widebody aircraft on medium and long-haul services.
Nok will hold a 51% stake in the new carrier, while Scoot will hold the remaining 49%. The airline will have a Bt 2 billion ($62.4 million) capitalisation, subject to regulatory approvals.
Details on fleet, products and network will be released at a later date, the two airlines said in a statement.
“We at Scoot are very pleased to be working with Nok, an established and respected Thai low-cost airline, on the establishment of NokScoot,” says Scoot chief executive Campbell Wilson. “In supporting Nok with Scoot’s experience in medium-haul widebody operations, we look forward to developing a new market segment and offering Thai consumers and travellers to Thailand more travel options.”
Singapore based Scoot operates a daily service to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport, while Nok’s network has been focused on domestic and regional international services from Don Mueang. The two carriers did not have a commercial relationship prior to the announcement.
Earlier in the year Nok confirmed that it was evaluating dormant plans to launch a longhaul low cost carrier in light of AirAsia X’s announcement that it would establish a Bangkok base. Last year Nok explored launching a longhaul unit in partnership with Thai Airways International, but abandoned that plan as the national carrier focused on launching its Thai Smile subsidiary.
Thai maintains a 39% stake in Nok, which went to an initial public offering in June this year.