Philippine carrier Seair is seeking regulatory approval to adopt the Tiger Airways brand name for its operations.
"Seair is in discussions with the authorities to use the Tiger Airways brand in [the] Philippines," says Tiger Airways Holdings' group chief executive Koay Peng Yen.
"We are unable to anticipate when that decision might be, and we're working with our counterparts in [the] Philippines."
Flightglobal understands that Seair has applied to the Exchange Securities Commission to "do business under the name and style of Tiger Airways". The country's Civil Aeronautics Board has scheduled a hearing for the request on 12 February.
Local media reports say Seair is requesting the name change so as to capitalise on the Tiger brand in the region.
In its third quarter results released on 24 January, Tiger said the group recorded a loss of Singapore dollars (S$) 8.3 million ($6.76 million) from its investment in Seair for the period, and that the relatively young carrier is still facing start-up issues such as trying to build its presence among larger carriers in a competitive market.
Tiger completed a transaction to acquire a 40% stake in Seair last August. The remaining 60% stake is held by Filipino shareholders. Tiger has said that it will provide working capital under a five-year tenure of up to $40 million to Seair.
Seair operates a fleet of two Airbus A319s and two A320s. Its network covers four international routes out of Clark and seven domestic routes out of Manila.