Russian president Vladimir Putin personally kicked off the 12th annual MAKS air show near Moscow on 25 August, attending the show for the first time since 2011.
Putin's arrival seemed to draw out the best of the Russian air force. The reclusive Sukhoi T-50 – conspicuously missing from the Victory Day celebration in May – made its first public appearance since MAKS-2013. A rare showing of the Mikoyan MiG 1.44 graced the static line, along with past superstars such as the supersonic Tupolev Tu-144.
Here are our 10 best images from Day 1:
1. Flanker formation flight
2. Mil and Kamov designs stage epic fly-past
3. Chinese air force officers pose in front of a Sukhoi Su-34
4. Russian fighters perform a starburst manoeuvre
5. Sukhoi's three stars – Su-34, T-50 and Su-35S – approach MAKS
6. Yakovlev Yak-130 emits Russian-red smoke as Mikoyan MiG-29 crosses in the distance
7. The MiG 1.44 returns from retirement for rare public viewing
8. The Tupolev Tu-144 takes its appropriate place on the MAKS static line.
9. Kamov Ka-52 performs solo in flying display
10. Tupolev's twin jet-powered bombers – Tu-22M and Tu-160 – stand vigilant.
All photos copyright of Billypix.