Dubai-based carrier Emirates has bought a 49% stake in logistics and consumer products distribution specialist Maritime & Mercantile International from Cupola for an undisclosed sum. The other 51% is held by Dubai businessmen. has acquired Internet Aviation Services (IAS), a leisure and business travel service company, in a stock swap deal. IAS holds contracts worth $9 million. Northrop Grumman has completed its acquisition of electronics and data systems supplier, Comptek, following the expiration of the share exchange offer. Dassault Systemes plans to acquire the 3D software components business of Spatial for $21.5 million in cash. The Spatial business will become part of a new wholly owned subsidiary of Dassault Systemes, retaining the Spatial name. Sabre Holdings is to acquire a 51% stake in Hamburg-based electronic travel distribution supplier, Dillion Communication Systems. The move will increase Sabre's presence in Germany from 1,000 travel agency locations to 5,900. The European Commission (EC) has approved plans by Thomson-CSF Sextant and Germany's Diehl to formalise existing cooperation on avionics as a new joint venture, Diehl Avionik Systeme, after ruling that the move will not give them a dominant market position. The EC has also approved Airtours' acquisition of German tour operator Frosch Touristik (FTI). It bought 38.8% of FTI in 1998, and is acquiring the rest as the European tour industry consolidates. Piedmont Hawthorne has acquired aircraft completion company Associated Air Centre, based at Dallas Love Field. Heico is selling its aircraft ground support equipment subsidiary Trilectron Industries to Illinois Tool Works for $52.5 million cash and $4.3 million in debt. Heico will rename its Electronic and Ground Support division Electronic Technologies.

Source: Flight International