Comac subsidiary Shanghai Aircraft Manufacturing and Safran group subsidiary Labinal have formed a joint venture to work on wiring systems for the Comac C919 narrowbody.

The establishment of Shanghai Saifei Aviation Ewis Manufacturing is due to strengthen both parties' manufacturing capabilities and is key to the success of the C919, says Comac.

The Shanghai-based joint venture will provide the electrical wiring interconnection systems for the C919 and ensure that it meets airworthiness requirements.

SAMC will own 51% of the joint venture while Labinal will hold the remaining 49%.

The two firms first inked an agreement last February to set up a joint venture.

Comac is aiming to conduct the first flight of the C919 in 2014, with entry into service in 2016.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news