Indian maintenance, repair and overhaul firm Air Works has set up an avionics services joint venture with Denmark's Scandinavian Avionics.

The new company, called SA Air Works India, will be based in Gurgaon in New Delhi. It will also have installation sites in other parts of India such as Mumbai and Hosur, says Air Works.

SA Air Works India will provide avionics solutions, such as cabin entertainment upgrades, in-flight communications, safety applications, weather systems and others. Air Works will own 51% of the joint venture, with Scandinavian holding the remaining 49% stake.

"SA Air Works will provide complete turn-key avionics solutions to customers in India and the subcontinent and will equip us to bid for avionic upgrades in both the general and commercial Aviation markets and later in the military market in India," says Air Works' CEO Vivek Gour.

The new joint venture's workshop in New Delhi has received European Aviation Safety Agency certification to repair more than 5,000 parts and train pilots, technicians and mechanics, says Air Works.

"India is rapidly becoming a global destination for MRO activities and we are confident that SA Air Works will be a key driver in the industry through its avionics products and solutions," says Scandinavian Avionics' CEO and founder Hardy Truelsen.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news