Canadian investigators have disclosed that a passenger's electrical power bank was the source of a fire in the cabin of a Lufthansa Airbus A380 operating to Houston.
The aircraft – transporting 510 occupants – had been cruising in Canadian airspace, some 260nm north-east of Montreal, when the crew was alerted to "heavy" electrical smoke and fire beneath seat 10C, says Transportation Safety Board of Canada.
Its incident bulleting on the 2 August incident states that a passenger power bank – a battery-powered portable device for providing electrical supply – was the source, and was "stuck in the seat mechanism".
Three fire extinguishers were used by the cabin crew to smother the fire. No emergency was declared, and the aircraft (D-AIMI) has since been returned to service following seat repair.