Brazilian airframer Embraer is aiming to gain certification of its ultra-long-range Lineage 1000 business jet to operate from London City airport.

This would make the Lineage the largest business jet cleared to operate from City airport, which has a steep angle of approach.

Embraer's 190 regional jet, on which the Lineage is based, is already cleared to use London City, but the Lineage's higher maximum take-off weight necessitates a separate certification.

Embraer says 90% of the process is paperwork and the remaining 10% engineering work to prove the similarity of performance.

It is targeting 2012 for certification.

Embraer claims the Lineage is already the largest business aircraft to be cleared to fly from Teterboro, New Jersey and Aspen, Colorado airports in the USA.

Source: Flight International