Asiana Airlines has appointed Kim Soo Cheon as its new chief executive, effective 1 January.

Kim succeeds Yoon Young Doo at the helm of the Star Alliance carrier, an airline official confirmed.

Prior to his appointment at Asiana, Kim was chief executive at its budget unit Air Busan.

Data from Flightglobal Pro shows that Asiana owns 46% of the budget carrier, while the city of Busan and other investors own the remaining 54%.

Source: Cirium Dashboard