Chinese company Comac has formally signed an agreement with engine manufacturer CFM International, making its Leap-X1C engine the sole powerplant to launch the Comac C919 narrowbody programme.

CFM International will be the sole foreign integrated propulsion system provider for the C919, said Comac.

The two companies signed the master contract during the Paris air show. The contract is the first such master contract on airborne systems signed by Comac for the C919 programme. It expects the remainder to be formalised this year.

Other international suppliers on the C919 also formalised joint ventures with Chinese manufacturers for their work on the aircraft programme. Comac subsidiary Shanghai Aircraft Manufacturing (SAM) signed an agreement with Safran's Labinal to set up a joint venture to provide the C919's electrical wiring interconnection systems. The Shanghai-based joint venture will be 51% owned by SAM, while Labinal will hold the remaining 49%.

In addition, Germany's Liebherr-Aerospace has signed a deal with Chinese aerospace company AVIC's landing gear subsidiary to establish a 50:50 joint venture to supply the C919's landing gear system.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news