A report published by aviation consulting firm Asian Sky Group pegs the number of business jets in operating Greater China – Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau – at 371 aircraft.

Speaking to the media on the sidelines of the show, Asian Sky general manager Jeffrey Lowe said that Gulfstream continues to the lead the market, with 142 aircraft, followed by Bombardier with 111.

The two most popular models in the region are the G550 and G450, represententing 30% of Greater China’s total fleet. The G450 was the most delivered private jet in Greater China, with 13 deliveries in 2013, followed by the Dassualt Falcon 7X with 11 new aircraft delivered.

One trend that Asian Sky observed was an increased willingness on the part of Chinese buyers to acquire used aircraft. In 2013, 47% of the aircraft delivered into the China market were pre-owned, with the remaining 53% being new aircraft.

Another observation is that just 73% of the aircraft operating in Greater China come under local registration. Lowe says that taxes and individual operational considerations are likely behind some owners’ decision to not register their aircraft locally.

Lowe adds that Chinese buyers’ preference for larger aircraft remains alive and well, and that this is unlikely to change anytime soon owing to Chinese owners’ tendency to travel with a sizeable entourage.

Source: FlightGlobal.com