Low-cost carrier AirAsia's Philippine affiliate airline will be based at Manila's Clark Airport, and will begin international flights in the fourth quarter of this year.

The airline plans to operate between Clark and Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Thailand, South Korea and Japan.

"Our choice of Clark underlines the airline's commitment to developing transportation and tourism hubs outside Manila. This is part of our plan to contribute to the development of the country as a whole," says CEO Marianne Hontiveros.

AirAsia holds a 40% stake in the carrier through its wholly-owned subsidiary AirAsia International. Philippine investors Antonio Cojuangco Jr, Michael Romero and Hontiveros own the remaining 60%, with each individual holding a 20% stake.

Clark will be the 13th regional hub of the AirAsia group, says the airline, which also has affiliate carriers in Thailand and Indonesia.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news