India’s Tata Sons is looking to obtain the minority stake in AirAsia India that it does not already own. 

The conglomerate filed an application with the Competition Commission of India (CCI) proposing that Air India acquire “the entire equity share capital” of the low-cost carrier. 

AirAsia India VT-ATB

Source: Wikimedia Commons

An AirAsia India Airbus A320.

Tata Sons owns close to 84% of AirAsia India, and intends to complete its acquisition of the remaining 16% from Malaysia-based AirAsia Aviation Group. 

In a filing with the competition watchdog, Tata Sons contends that the proposed acquisition “will not lead to any change in the competitive landscape”, nor would it “cause any appreciable adverse effect” on competition in the Indian aviation market. 

FlightGlobal has reached out to Tata Sons for additional comment. 

Since Tata successfully acquired Air India from the Indian government, analysts have suggested that it will merger AirAsia India with Air India Express. They also believe it will merge Vistara, its joint venture with Singapore Airlines, with Air India. 

Cirium fleets data shows AirAsia India to operate a fleet of 26 Airbus A320ceos. It operates only domestic flights and is based at Bengaluru.