From the Press Association

Rolls-Royce has had to recall faulty aero engine parts manufactured at one of its factories, it emerged yesterday.

The company confirmed that an inquiry had been ordered at the Inchinnan plant in Renfrewshire, UK, after three engines shut down in mid-air on passenger jets because of components built there.

In the most serious case, an engine on an aircraft which flew from Sydney airport failed after take off. The pilot was forced to abort the flight and managed to land the Airbus A320 safely on just one engine.

IAE V2500 W445 
© IAE 

Two other mid-air engine failures were traced to defective vanes made at Rolls-Royce's Scottish factory for V2500 aircraft engines.

In at least eight incidents the vanes, which suck air into the engine, had broken under pressure.

Rolls-Royce has been recalling all the faulty parts, which the firm said were made over a month's period in 2004 during a brief change in the production process.

A leaked company document obtained by the Scottish newspaper the Glasgow Sunday Mail said "confidence in Inchinnan's reputation has been severely dented".

Another internal document said: "A vane failed during service causing an engine shutdown. It was one of three in-service failures for the same reason.

"All repair and overhaul bases worldwide were alerted to look out for potential occurrences of the same problem.

"Other engines with potentially the same problem were recalled for investigation. The affected parts were manufactured at Inchinnan during 2004."

The UK Civil Aviation Authority confirmed it was aware of the problem and said it was investigating.

R-R insisted the incidents were isolated and there had been no recurrence of the fault.

Spokesman Peter Barnes-Wallace told the Scottish Press Association: "These were three incidents out of the 20 million flying hours Rolls-Royce engines clock up every year.

"The faulty vanes were made over a month at the plant in 2004. We have been recovering all the vanes in question and expect to recall the final one this month.

"The CAA is aware of it. None of the aircraft concerned were ever grounded. There were no flight cancellations and no safety risks. Safety is always our priority."

Source: Flight International