After two consecutive days of disruption due to anti-government protests, the Airport Authority of Hong Kong has obtained an interim injunction restricting protests at the airport, and is working to clear a number of delayed flights.

The injunction restrains protesters from “unlawfully and willfully obstructing or interfering with the proper use of [the airport]”, and blocking people from taking part, or attending, “any demonstration or protest or public order event” at the airport other than areas the authority has designated.

For the second time in two days, all flights in and out of Hong Kong on the evening of 13 August were cancelled after pro-democracy protesters returned to occupy part of the terminal buildings.

The airport's operations had been starting to stabilise after having been forced to close by protesters for several hours on the afternoon and evening of 12 August.

Hong Kong International airport says in a notice that it would continue “flight rescheduling” on 14 August, and that movements would be affected.

As of 12:00 local time, most flights were back in operation at the airport, with only a handful of departures and arrivals cancelled.

Hong Kong carrier Cathay Pacific states that it will be operating flights as scheduled, but warns of “further flight disruptions at short notice”.

It has also put up a statement on its website voicing its support for the Hong Kong government, and condemning the protests.

“Cathay Pacific is deeply concerned by the ongoing violence and disruption impacting Hong Kong,” the statement reads.

“We condemn all illegal activities and violent behaviour, which seriously undermine the fundamental principle of “One Country Two Systems” as enshrined in the Basic Law.”

The Oneworld carrier adds that it will comply with safety directives issued by the Civil Aviation Administration of China “at all times”.

Hong Kong has for the past two months been hit by protests over the government's decision to introduce an unpopular extradition bill. It was later shelved, but protesters have demanded the full withdrawal of the bill and an investigation into the handling of the political crisis.